Within written documents about history of Hlohovec this remarkable building had been mentioned only peripherally. Although, it was one of the most magnificent buildings in Hlohovec. It is supposed that it was originally built as a town hall of Hlohovec in 17th century because of its location on the edge of main square leading to the Podzamska street.
However, it was found that the building had never been a town hall and it had a completely different use from the beginning to the present days.
At the beginning of 17th century construction of the building began in the place which originally belonged to another estate from the 14st century. In 1598-1625 Hlohovec castle with its surroundings was owned by Stanislav Thurza who was an important benefactor and he significantly developed the town. The three-linguistic lyceum was founded in 1601 and the tower of the parish church was extended by another floor which gave Hlohovec nowadays appearance. In this period there was probably built the former manor house in the square. The municipal manor was originally built as a two-storied house in the Renaissance style. Its original appearance had been captured in several town´s veduta, mainly in some veduta from 1761 and 1823 where there can be clearly seen the renaissance arch attic. It is still partially seen today as a part of the municipal library. There were rooms with cross and barrel vaults and opened portico on the Tuscany columns in the courtyard of the house. The Hlohovec castle and bower garden house in the castle garden had been similarly rebuilt by Thurza. The bower garden house was originally part of castle fortification. The manor-house on the square was decorated with graffiti facade. It was found during the main restoration of Hotel Jeleň in 1960. Unfortunately this decoration was mostly destroyed due to its reconstruction where all external walls were completely rendered to the bricks.
Within several written papers the use of the manor house - mansion on the square, which belonged to the owner of castle and estate, has been documented. Council officers, preceptor and house administrators lived in the house in different epochs. Imposed payments in kind, tollage were paid to this house. It was the proven fact that the house had had its predecessor in older building which even had to stand there in the middle Ages as was shown in other medieval documents. Even in Mikulas Kontha document from 1365 who was yeoman of Hlohovec in 14th century, was stated: „ Servants of Hlohovec are required to bring to the birth of our Lord, the Archangel Michael and on the Easter their usual gifts..How? For every acre of land – 1 cheese, 8 eggs, also each village brings 3 young rams to not a different place than to our Manor house in Hlohovec.”
The wife of Mikulas Kontha, Clara, had also mentioned the location of the manor. In 1400 she donated to the Church of Holy Spirit near by the river Vah the stoned corner house indicated in our town Frajstak (Hlohovec – the present days) in vernacular known as Hoffstadt , located on the east side of the parish church.
The Thurza family probably just rebuilt the older, Gothic mansion into the Renaissance style. After the extinction of the Thurza family the Manor house on the square was gradually acquired by the Forgac family, lords of Mitrovica, King of Hungary and in 1720 came into the hands of Juraj Erdödy. In 1720 Juraj Erdödy bought the whole domain of Hlohovec with its surroundings along with the manor house on the square.
This purchase was registered on 22nd of November 1720. Since this year the most Erdödy` s properties began to lease. They rented several buildings on the main square including the Hotel Jeleň.
The Renaissance style of the building was maintained until 1880, when it was rebuilt into the Neoclassical style. In this year, the right side of hotel`s corner was inbuilt under the former snack bar where Hlohovec butchers had their butchery in 19th century. On the second floor of the building the ballroom with valuable Empire ceiling was built in 1880 -1882. At the beginning of 20th century the building began operating as a hotel, nevertheless it was officially proven since 1937.